Thursday, April 14, 2011

New Blog, Same Old Story

I've been reading this and that and seeing all sorts of things going on in the world of the political and, because I am one of those quirky Americans who has balls enough to call himself a Liberal, I thought I would go and post my thoughts and rants and all that fun type of stuff. But, then again, I've also remembered that being Liberal doesn't mean I'm always politically correct.

Now, let us turn to local news here in Oklahoma...please, save the groans until later. You'll need them.

From Tulsa World News comes an article nicely titled Oklahoma House OKs Additional Restrictions on Abortion. Oh yes, let the good times roll. I think what I am going to do is ignore HB 1888 (interesting number, it seems to be the year the Okie Republicans want to drag us back to) and the part of HB 1888 that will pretty much ban abortion after 20 weeks and instead, I shall focus on SB 547.

SB 547 bans "elective abortion" from being covered under the Patient Protections and Affordable Care Act. What is "elective abortion" you may ask? Interestingly, it is defined in SB 547 as "anything other than to prevent the death of the mother."

That's right, folks. See, with SB 547, if a young girl is raped by, oh say, her brother and ends up pregnant, then her parents will have to go out and buy a much more expensive private insurance plan in order for her to abort it, or her parents (or the girl herself) will have to foot the total of the bill. There is no exception for rape or incest under SB 547.

What a bastion of morality, this place known as Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment